Eimear Byrne holds a B.A. Hons in Dance from Bath Spa University and received a First Class Honours for her Masters in Contemporary Dance Performance from UL. She is a dance artist. Eimear is also the contemporary dance tutor at BIFE and teaches Intermediate Contemporary classes at Dance Theatre of Ireland. She is currently the director of the TY Dance Company of the Goode School of Dance. While based in the UK she performed with Remote Intermedia Dance Theatre Company and on returning to Ireland she has trained under the influence of internationally known choreographers such as John Scott, Iseli-Chiodi, Helen Cathala and Laura Murphy.
She toured with ‘LIVE ARCHIVE’ in 2016 and 2017 with Robert Connor and Loretta Yurick, Artistic Directors of Dance Theatre of Ireland and is currently engaged in a duet work ‘Two Can Do’ with American choreographer, Bianca Paige Smith which was premiered at the Limerick Fringe Festival (winning most innovative award of the fringe 2017) and was performed as part of Culture night at Dance Limerick Sept 2017. Eimear has a strong interest in duet work and enjoys collaborating with national and international dance artists that also share this interest. Her choreographic work ‘Renewal’ premiered at the Whale Theatre in Wicklow in November 2017 and was selected and performed as part of ‘Tree’ a dance initiative and platform run by 3rd Stage Dance Company in Bath, England. The work was also performed as part of Limerick Fringe 2018 and was described as “a mesmerizing piece of contemporary dance which captured me with a hypnotic and mindful presence” by Shane Vaughan (Limerick Fringe Reviews 2018). ‘Shaped No. 2′ was a work Eimear revisited and developed for Culture night 2018. This was a live interactive dance installation that was performed at Dance Theatre of Ireland. Eimear has just recently performed ‘Two Can Do’ by choreographer Bianca Paige Smith at Gibney, Broadway New York (Jan 2019). This performance took place during APAP.
In January 2017 I graduated with First Class Honours in a Masters in Contemporary Dance Performance from the University of Limerick. I am also a graduate of Bath Spa University where I achieved a BA Hons in Dance in 2009. I have performed with Oddik Dance Theatre Company and Remote Intermedia Dance Theatre Company while living in the UK. Last year I was involved in The Live Archive Exhibition, which toured nationally to Dublin, Limerick and Cork. The exhibition was celebrating the work and repertoire of the first ever Contemporary Dance Company in Ireland, DCDT which started back in Dublin in the 1980‘s by Mary Nunan, Joan Davis, Robert Connor and Loretta Yurick. I was chosen to dance the female role in the duet piece Coupled Reflections alongside Anderson De Souza (Brazil) for these performances. I am currently involved in a duet piece with American choreographer, Bianca Paige Smith, called ‘Two Can Do’ this was premiered at the Limerick Fringe this year (winning Most Innovative Performance of the Fringe Award 2017) and was performed again for Culture Night in Dance Limerick. In April 2017 I was invited by Dr.Adrienne Brown to present my research paper at a Screendance Sympossium. My latest screendance film ‘Shaped’ was screened at the Mermaid Arts Centre as part of this event- Wicklow Screendance Lab.
‘Renewal’ a duet work of mine premiered at the Whale Theatre, Greystones in Wicklow on the 3rd November 2017 and was selected and performed as part of ‘Tree’ a dance initiative and platform run by 3rd Stage Dance Company in Bath, England. The work was also performed as part of Limerick Fringe 2018 so has toured nationally and internationally. ‘Shaped No. 2’ was a work that I revisited and developed for Culture night 2018. This was a live interactive dance installation that was performed at Dance Theatre of Ireland. I have just recently performed ‘Two Can Do’ a work, by choreographer Bianca Paige Smith at Gibney, Broadway, New York (Jan 2019). This performance took place during APAP.
Running parallel to my performance and screendance work I am the Contemporary Dance Tutor on the full time dance course at the Bray Institute of Further Education and have been for the past 10 years. I also teach Intermediate Contemporary Dance classes and facilitate week long summer intensives at The Center for Dance at Dance Theatre of Ireland. I have been the Movement tutor on the Pushkin Trust Project for the Royal Duchess of Abercorn for two years. I have just recently become the Director of the TY Dance company of The Goode School of Dance where I teach contemporary dance classes to the students. My dance training began at the age of four with the Annette Hynes School of Classical Ballet and Modern Theatre Dance and progressed on from this to SCFE for a further two years of dance training and from there I successfully auditioned for my place in Bath, UK. At Bath Spa University I acquired many skills and developed these throughout my time there. These are as follows: Contemporary Codified Technique, Contact Improvisation, Physical Theatre, Digital Media, Body on Camera, The Dance Consciousness, Somatic Practice, Alexander Technique, Yoga, Ideokinesis, Choreography, Research Projects and Collaborative projects with Musicians. During my year at the University of Limerick I developed and progressed these areas further with a deeper line of inquiry and level of investigation more specifically in Contemporary Dance Performance, Choreography for Solo, Ensemble works by internationally known choreographers and Screendance.
I am also a registered teacher with the teaching Council of Ireland and a member of Dance Ireland.
Education and Qualifications:
2016, Irish World Academy, University of Limerick, MA Contemporary Dance Performance, Classification First Class Honours
2014, BTEC Osca IV accreditation
2006-2009, Bath Spa University, England BA Hons Degree in Dance, Classification 2:1
2004-2006, Sallynoggin College of Further Education Certificate in Dance Royal Academy of Dance Grade VI
1998-2004, St. Kilians Community School Leaving Certificate: Honours
1990-2004, Annette Hynes School of Ballet Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing Grade I-V and RAD VI
Choreographic and Performance Experience:
- Performer in Two Can Do a duet directed, choreographed and produced by Bianca Paige Smith at Gibney, Broadway, New York City, USA, January 2019
- Performer in Shaped No. 2 a Live Interactive Dance Installation choreography-Eimear Byrne as part of Culture Night at Dance Theatre of Ireland 2018
- Performer in Renewal a work directed, choreographed and edited by Eimear Byrne which was performed at the The Whale Theatre, Greystones, Co. Wicklow November 2017|at The Mission Theatre Bath, England December 2018|at St. John’s Pavillion, Limerick Fringe April 2018 |
- Performer in Shaped a Screendance work directed, choreographed and edited by Eimear Byrne at Loreto Convent Bray, Co. Wicklow. screened at the Mermaid Arts Centre, Bray, Co. Wicklow. April 2017
- Performer in Two Can Do a duet work directed, choreographed by Bianca Paige Smith at Limerick Fringe, Feb 2017
- Performer in Coupled Reflections- LIVE ARCHIVE tour a duet work directed, and choreographed by Robert Connor and Loretta Yurick Dec, 2016,Jan, 2017 and Feb 2017
- Performer in The Moorland a performance choreographed by Iseli-Chodi Company at The Irish World Academy, University Limerick. Showed in Theatre 1. 19th Nov 2015 &6th May 2016
- Performer in Hyperactive a performance choreographed by John Scott at The Irish World Academy, University Limerick. Showed in Theatre 1. 19th Nov 2016 &6th May 2016
- Choreographer and Performer in Oscillation a performance at The Irish World Academy , University Limerick. Showed in Theatre 1. 19th Nov 2016
- Choreographer and Performer in Duet a performance at The Irish World Academy , University Limerick. Showed in Theatre 1. 6th May 2016
- Performer in Abacus a performance choreographed by Laura Murphy at The Irish World Academy, University Limerick. Showed in Theatre 1. 6th May 2016
- Performer in Figures Libre a performance choreographed by Helene Cathal at The Irish World Academy, University Limerick. Showed in Theatre 1. 6th May 2016
- Choreographer for Bife dance students on the course’s annual performance Always Dancing at Mermaid ArtsTheatre, Bray. (Pieces included; Dancing bartok, beethoven and Schonberg/Hoppla and Orfeu e Euridice-repertoire, The End of the Earth, Egress, Bray International Fitness Extravaganza) March 2017
- Choreographer for Bife dance students on the course’s annual performance Escape to Dance at Mermaid ArtsTheatre, Bray. (Pieces included; Rosas Danst Rosas-repertoire, Unity, Vertical Road-repertoire, Wild in the Aisles, Rain) March 2014
- Choreographer for Bife dance students on the course’s annual performance Dance with us at Mermaid ArtsTheatre, Bray. (Pieces included;Falling Angels-repertoire, A forgotten ending, a real hero, BIFE airlines, Existence)March 2013.
- Choreographer for Bife dance students on the course’s annual performance Contrasts at Mermaid ArtsTheatre, Bray. (Pieces included;Restricted,Folding up, Swerve, Bed number 13 to Theatre) March 2012.
- Choreographer for Bife dance students on the course’s annual performance Lifted at Mermaid ArtsTheatre, Bray. (Pieces included;Stuck, Shapes in Motion, Left Standing, Bienvenue a la Petitie Boulangerie) March 2011.
- Choreographer for Bife dance students on the course’s annual performance Move at Mermaid ArtsTheatre, Bray. (Pieces included;Just a number or not?,Glosoli, Roll the dice, Honey I’m home) March 2010.
- Performer in Excess Baggage, choreography by Jasmin Vardimon and directed by Dr. Karla Shacklock, Artistic Director of Precarious Intermedia Dance Company. Showed in The Works at Bath Spa Live Theatre, England. May 28th-30th at the Dance Forum at the ICIA May 23rd 2009 and at Bristol Airport June 9th 2009.
- Performer, choreographer and creative director of REMote a performance by Dotcom Intermedia Dance Theatre Company showed in The Works at Bath Spa Live Theatre, England. May 28th-30th 2009.
- Performer and choreographer of CHemical by ODDIK Intermedia Dance Theatre Company showed in Fused at Bath Spa Live Theatre, England. Feb 19th-21st 2009.
- Performer in Departures a performance choreographed by Chris Lewis-Smith, Senior Dance Lecturer at the Dance department at Bath Spa University and an International Dance Film maker. Showed at Signals at Bath Spa Live Theatre, England. Nov 21st-23rd 2008.
- Performer in Line to Line a performance choreographed by Julie Lockett, showed at Dance at The Pavillion Theatre, Dublin, Ireland May 31st 2005.
- Performer in Parallel Visions a performance choreographed by Miriam Ribon, Artistic Director of Dublin Youth Dance Company showed at Dance at the Pavillion Theatre, Dublin, Ireland May 31st 2005.
- Choreographer for Nickel&Dime, a girl band on a competition dance show, You’re a Star a tv programme broadcasted on RTE 1, Apr 8th 2004.
Community and Teaching Experience:
Working as the Contemporary Dance Tutor in the Bray Institute of Further Education teaching full time dance and performing arts students on the following courses; BTEC ND, HNC and HND courses (2009-present)
Modules I have written, contextualised and taught on the BTEC courses:
Applying Contemporary Dance Technique (ND)
Performance Workshop (ND)
Choreographic Principles (ND)
Contemporary Dance Technique (HNC)
Choreography for Solo (HNC)
Movement for the Actor (HNC)
Contemporary Dance Techniques and Performance (HND)
Choreography of Group Performance (HND)
Applied Contemporary Performance Practice (HND)
Preparation, Process and Production in the Creative Arts (HND)
- Work with Dance Theatre of Ireland on their DPOP programme. (2009-present)
- Work with the Pushkin Trust (Summer 2011 and 2012)
- Working as guest tutor in Sallynoggin College of F.E. Giving workshops in Ideokinesis. (April 2010, 2011, 2012).
- Work Experience at Sallynoggin College of F.E. Dublin, Ireland. This involved teaching contemporary technique classes and conducting choreographic workshops with the students. Mar 10th-13th 2009.
- Worked as choreographer and dance teacher for the Bray Youth Service in Wicklow, teaching two evening classes (jazz/hiphop) a week for under privileged children in a disadvantaged area aged 7-16yrs from 2003-2006.
Continuing Professional Development:
– Workshops/Research Lab with International choreographer, Miheala Griveva at Fringe Lab, June 2018|at MyArt Studios, Dublin Sept-Dec 2018
– Workshop with International choreographer, Nacera Bellaza at Dance Ireland
– Staff Forum Representative at Bife Jan 2015
-Moodle workshops Mar 2014
-Trinity Laban Summer Intensive course July 2014
-Osca Examination November 2014